Bariatric Surgery, also known as weight loss surgery or weight reduction surgery, is a proven way to lose weight for those who are struggling to lose weight through diet and exercise.
Bariatric surgery has grown considerably in the public’s attention for the past decade, as numerous celebrities have brought bariatric surgery into the national spotlight.
- 278,000 Bariatric Surgeries Performed in 2019 (estimated) in the US
- Forecasted to Perform 297,000 Surgeries in 2020 (estimated) in the US
- 6,000 to 8,500 Bariatric Surgeries Performed in Mexico in 2019
- Gastric Sleeves Represent 65%+ all Bariatric Surgeries Performed
- Revisional Surgeries Represent 17% of all Bariatric Surgeries Performed
Costs of Bariatric Surgery
- Average Bariatric Surgery Costs of $20,000 Without Insurance Coverage
- Average Bariatric Surgery Costs with Insurance Coverage is $7,000
- Average Bariatric Surgery Costs in Mexico is $4,500
- Insurers Recover the costs of Bariatric Surgery in 2-4 years on average.
- About 25% of patients considering bariatric surgery are denied insurance coverage three times before getting approval
Bariatric Surgery Facts
- Bariatric Success Rates are 85% after Five Years
- Risk of death is less than 0.13%
Benefits of Bariatric Surgery:
- 89% Reduction in Mortality
- Improvement in Quality of Life
- Improvement in Relationships
For forecasted use estimated numbers for based on sampled numbers from the ASMBS using the growth rates from 2016 to 2018. We also discounted numbers due to COVID-19 affects on scheduled and elective surgeries in 2020.
- Access to Care Fact Sheet. American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. https://asmbs.org/resources/access-to-care-fact-sheet
- Estimate of Bariatric Surgery Numbers. ASMBS. https://asmbs.org/resources/estimate-of-bariatric-surgery-numbers
- Bariatric Surgery Statistics & Facts. Renew Bariatrics. https://renewbariatrics.com/bariatric-surgery-statistics/